Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Next Stop: Geneva

Following an incredible visit to Jungfraujoch, I woke up early on Saturday to visit Geneva for the first time. I arrived around noon, grabbed a map and explored. The flea market in Geneva is huge on Saturdays, so I started there. The people were trying to sell items that have no value whatsoever for high prices. At one point, I saw a stand with US pennies for sale. These weren't antique pennies, or pennies that were ornately decorated. These were standard US pennies from the 1990's and 2000's being sold for 20 Swiss Franc each, (roughly 22 US dollars)! As I walked through the market, the man selling them offered to give me a deal, 3 pennies for 25 Franc. All I could do was laugh.


Needless to say, I didn't spend any money at the market and made my way toward the park. On the way I passed a small skate park with kids doing tricks on bikes, skateboards, roller blades, and even scooters!


The park was full of life. There were about half a dozen giant chess boards set up at the entrance with people of all ages playing with intensity similar to that of Harry and Ron in the Sorcerer's Stone.


Deeper in the park was the Reformation Wall, on the grounds of the University of Geneva. Built in 1909, the wall commemorates the Protestant Reformation.


As I continued to explore I came across a church at the top of the hill overlooking Lake Geneva and Jet D'eau. On the way to the lake I stopped at the English Garden, home of the Flower Clock. While I was told to find this clock, I didn't know what to expect. It's exactly what it sounds like, a gigantic clock made of flowers.


Finally, I made my way to see Jet D'eau up close. One of the world's largest fountains, Jet D'eau blasts 132 gallons of water towards the sky per second.


On Sunday morning I visited the United Nations Headquarters. Unfortunately it is closed on weekends, otherwise I would have taken a tour in a heartbeat. Outside the facility the flags of 193 nations hang proudly in front of the UN Flag. As an International Studies major I've taken several classes focused on the work of the United Nations. It was neat to stand outside the facility where so much of what I have learned about occurs.


Outside the UN facility is a gigantic sculpture of a wooden chair that had one limb broken off. The sculpture is there as a symbol of the opposition towards land mines. 


My last stop was the Museum of the Red Cross and Red Crescent. With only a few weeks left of travels, I've visited countless museums. This was the most well put together. The Humanitarian Exhibit is split into three parts, each designed by a different architect. The museums include exhibits on Defending Human Dignity, Restoring Family Links, and Reducing Natural Risks.


The interactive museum just recently added new audio guides which have a built-in GPS to know exactly where you are in each room of the exhibit. Based on your exact location in the room, the audio-guide automatically explains what you're looking at. The museum also includes stories of 12 witnesses. These stories are incredibly touching and serve as an important reminder of the incredible work the Red Cross does.


Geneva was very welcoming and was a wonderful end to my weekend travels. After my final week of class, my third and final spring break started in Barcelona. Stay tuned! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment