Sunday, October 25, 2015

4 Overtimes Later...

I checked ticket prices for the Arkansas versus Auburn game on Tuesday. Nosebleed seats ran no cheaper than $75. As of Tuesday, I was not attending the game. By Wednesday, the price had dropped to $50 because the weather channel predicted a 100% chance of rain at the Hogs' 11am kickoff. So I waited, patiently. By Friday, the chance of rain had dropped to 30%, yet ticket prices continued to decrease. When ticket prices dropped to $6.73 cent on StubHub, I gambled. I figured, if I woke up Saturday and the chance of rain increased, I could skip the game and only be out $6.73.

I bet the house and won. I woke up Saturday morning to find a zero percent chance of rain during the game, and ticket prices had skyrocketed back upwards of $100. Within thirty minutes, I was on my way to Fayetteville for what would be one of the most exciting games I have ever witnessed.


I arrived in Northeastern Arkansas about an hour before kickoff. The drive from Conway to Fayetteville as the leaves changed colors through the mountain valley was breathtaking. My ticket read section 506, row 23, seat 10. When I arrived in the stadium I realized that there were no attendants checking tickets, so instead of making the trek up to the highest section in the stadium, I treated myself to some of the best seats in the house. I found my way to section 105, and made myself comfortable.


Following the national anthem, the Razorbacks rushed onto the field, weaving between members of the marching band who formed the shape of an 'A' on the field, after being smoked out of the "Hog Pen."


The Razorback entrance was cute, but Virginia Tech's 'Enter Sandman' is the best entrance in college football.


This weekend's game was an attempted "Stripe Out." In theory, the Stripe Out is epic. Execution is no easy task however, as proven by today's crowed. I was excited to see the stripe out, as a lover of all things "Hokie Effect" but the result was unimpressive compared to this year's Maroon and Orange Effect games.



Virginia Tech vs Ohio State - Orange Effect - September 7, 2015 
Virginia Tech vs Duke - Maroon Effect - October 24, 2015 - Photo courtesy of Warren Nooger
I lucked out that nobody claimed the seat I borrowed for the game. The Hogs took an early lead, but the game ultimately need four overtimes to find a winner. This was not my first college football game that required multiple overtimes to settle. In 2013, I led the Hokies on the field for the Virginia Tech versus Marshall game. The Hokies won that game in triple overtime despite monsoon conditions.


The Razorback Marching Band performed a medley of songs by Bruno Mars during halftime, and the fan's chanted "Wooo Pig, Sooie" at every opportunity. Highlights from the game, including the entrance from the Hog Pen can be seen here!


The Razorbacks pulled off the win after four overtime periods, 54-46.


Both the Hokies and Hogs played through four overtimes this weekend. While I may have been a Razorback fan for the day, I'm a Hokie fan for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment